This year, our Technology Director, District Media Specialist, and myself were able to attend ISTE 13 in San Antonio. We were extremely fortunate to have this once in a lifetime experience and there are really no words that I can string together that would accurately describe my experience. Overwhelming. Exciting. Inspiring. The list could go on and on!
One of the great things about attending a conference outside of your home city or home state is that you get to experience and entirely different culture. There was so much that San Antonio had to offer that amplified my conference experience. I am not going to lie, the heat was a little much for me (even coming from humid Michigan!), but it was nice to be able to get out and walk around the Rivewalk area in between sessions and in the evening.
- The band Dara Neimi is amazing! They played at all of the keynote events and were awesome!
- Jane McGonigal is an awesome speaker and had some great insight into the world of gamification. The one that that really stood out to me was her list of 10 Positive emotions that gaming elicits. Such profound thought that applies to so many other aspects of life, even outside of gaming!
| || |
- Stephen Johnson is an incredibly intelligent man who has delved deep into the world of research. Some areas he touched on:
- What is your eureka moment? When you have an idea, what turns it into a great, working idea?
- An idea is not a single thing, but a collection and remix of the things around us
- Adam Bellow is one my my all-time favorite speakers to listen to. He is very entertaining and is able to relate to an audience in a way that leaves you inspired and ready to take on the world of education. Below is his closing keynote - If you have about an hour and a half, I strongly encourage you to watch the full video.
- Metiri Group http://metiri.com/
- Personalized learning engages students in deeper learning
- Continuous Partial Attention - kids are used to multi-tasking, we need to get them to put some things aside and only do one thing at a time
- Surface Learning
- A quantitative increase in knowledge
- Acquiring facts, skills and methods
- Deep Learning
- Making sense or abstracting meaning (part to whole, real world)
- Interpreting and understanding reality in a different way/reinterpreting knowledge
- Teaching Channel https://www.teachingchannel.org/
- Bunge Lab KIDS’ Corner http://www.bungelab.berkeley.edu/KidsCorner/kidscorner/index.html
- Providing feedback can double the rate of learning
- Podcasting to personalize learning https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/student-feedback-through-technology
- Intelligent Adaptive Learning
- Dreambox http://www.dreambox.com/
- Blend my learning http://www.blendmylearning.com/
- Engaging students as co-designers in their own learning
- Building resilience and self-direction
- PLUS - Personalized Libraries to Uplift Students
- Achievement modules
- Digital badges - SAMR/Bloom’s Models